Inhale. Exhale. Whew!! Cue up When I Get Home by Solange.
Today makes nine months since I suffered a stroke. Nine months? The number nine is symbolic to giving birth, to something coming forward. This has been a journey that I didn’t expect but one that I have totally embraced as the months have come and gone. I’m now ready for many areas of my life to come forth and bloom, inclusive of growing my brand LindarInsights and my ministry Arlinda Christine Ministries.
I’ve often reflected on November 5, 2018 and all of the appointments, prescriptions and mindsets that I had to manage and acknowledge. In my upcoming book Diligently there is a section, entitled Heart Spills, where I give some thoughts that may be helpful to others in their times of crisis.
I was 48 and an active mommy; I was eating correctly, losing weight and keeping up with my biometrics. I was working hard at keeping my numbers low and I still had a stroke. This is my heart spill that I pray is helpful to others:
- Know the signs of a stroke.
- Keep your phone charged at all times.
- Set up medical information in your phone that can be reached even if your phone is locked.
- At the sign of an emergency, get help ASAP.
- Know yourself well enough to know when you are in a crisis.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders.
- Keep up with all of your doctor’s appointments.
- Know your medication’s name and dosage.
- Keep your squad informed about what’s going on with you.
- When you don’t feel well, say it.
- Practice self-care.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Keep a journal; write when you feel your best.
- Complete therapy.
- Know what activities calm your spirit.
- This above all, to thine own self be true.
- Trust God.